Virginia L. Colin, Ph.D.
Click here to email
Click for Full Website
P.O. Box 2481
Springfield, VA 22152
Description of Practice
- Family Mediation Specialist (private practice)
- Author of book "The Guide to Low-Cost Divorce in Virginia"
- 2018 President of the Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- 2017 Vice President of the Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Research Analyst at Second Genesis
- Research Associate at Children's National Medical Center
- Author of the book "Human Attachment"
- Self-employed Research Consultant
- Therapeutic Foster Parent at TRIAD Care Program
- Psychotherapy Associate at Bleach and Associates
- Psychology Associate at Clinical Associates
- Visiting Assistant Professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland
- Therapeutic Foster Parent at Family Group Homes
In my roles as a parent (married, then divorced, and then, years later, remarried), step-parent, foster parent, friend, counselor, and mediator, I have extensive experience with divorce. I know the emotional, financial, and legal aspects of family distress, separation, and divorce. I have helped many ex-couples renegotiate parenting plans when children got older, when parents changed jobs or moved to different neighborhoods, or when a family’s situation changed in other ways. More recently, I have discovered the joys of marital mediation -- helping couples resolve issues and improve their marriages, instead of just helping people minimize the damage when it is too late to save the marriage.
M.A. in Psychology from Columbia University
Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from University of Virginia.
In addition, I have completed the training and apprenticeship program developed by the Supreme Court of Virginia and earned certification to mediate cases referred from Juvenile and Domestic Courts and from Circuit Courts.
|2008||Northern Virginia Mediation Services||Eleven mediation courses, 107 hours|
|2010||Virginia Law Foundation||29th Annual Family Law Seminar: Spare the Child, 6 hours|
|2010||Supreme Court of Virginia Dispute Resolution Services||Theater of Ethics, 2 hours|
|2011||Supreme Court of Virginia Dispute Resolution Services||Child Support, Basic and Advanced, 8 hours|
|2012||Academy of Professional Mediators||many programs, 30 hours|
|2013||Academy of Professional Mediators||many programs, 32 hours|
|2014||Academy of Professional Mediators||many programs, 32 hours|
|2014||Supreme Court of Virginia Dispute Resolution Services||Ethics, 3 hours|
|2014||Northern Virginia Mediation Services||various programs, 10 hours|
|2015||Academy of Professional Mediators||many programs, 30 hours|
|2015||Northern Virginia Mediation Services||various programs, 6 hours|
|2015||Supreme Court of Virginia Dispute Resolution Services||Mediation Ethics, 2 hours|
|2017||Academy of Professional Mediators||many programs, 30 hours|
|2017||Supreme Court of Virginia Dispute Resolution Services||Mediation Ethics, 2 hours|
Also, listen to my radio show Family Matters at http://www.voiceamerica.com/show/2397/family-matters
Areas of Practice
- Divorce (all issues)
- Divorce (parenting)
- Marital Mediation
- Mediation Trainer
- Mediation Consultant
- Online Mediator