Click here to email
Click for Full Website
1666 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009
Description of Practice
Also a trained mediator, Barb frequently serves in that capacity in family-law proceedings. As a former Certified Public Accountant, as well, she brings exceptional financial expertise and dispute resolution skills to family law matters.
As founding president of the DC Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Barb is one of the pioneers of Collaborative Practice in the DC area. Also a founding member of the Collaborative Practice Training Institute, Barb trains others in collaborative practice and conflict resolution. She also lectures frequently in a variety of venues on family law issues, collaborative law, and mediation. Barb co-founded two non-profit organizations, the Collaborative Project of DC and the Collaborative Project of Maryland, which strive to bring the benefits of Collaborative Practice to families of low and modest means.
A Senior Trial Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice earlier in her career, Ms. Burr has extensive trial experience. She has served as co-counsel in groundbreaking civil rights cases before the United States Supreme Court and as adjunct professor of law at American University. More:
- Barb has been named a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML). Comprising the top matrimonial attorneys throughout the nation.
- Barb has been named one of DC’s Best Lawyers by the Washingtonian Magazine since 2015.
- Barb has been named as a Super Lawyer every year since 2009.
- Barb and the Burr Law Firm are consistently named as one of the area’s Best Lawyers and Best Law Firms by, among others, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers®.
- Barb was named as a Top Woman Lawyer in the Northeast in Arrive Magazine.
- She has received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® level of legal ability.
- Barb has been named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- She is a contributing author to the ABA Commission on Women’s Book, Road to Independence, 101 Women’s Journey’s to Starting Their Own Law Firm.
Areas of Practice
- Divorce (all issues)
- Divorce (parenting)
- Marital Mediation
- Online Family/Divorce
- Online Mediation
- Online Mediator
- Parenting Coordinator
- Mediating Lawyer
- Collaborative Professional